A boy, an alien and football. A match made in heaven for soccer fans aged 7-10 👽 ⚽ 😊
👽 Audiobook now out! Click or tap below hear a sample 👽
Eeek! The Runaway Alien, as you may have guessed by now, is a fun, fast-paced story about a soccer-mad alien who runs away from space to Earth during the World Cup.
Eleven-year-old Charlie Spruit can’t believe his luck when he opens his door to an alien one morning. Who is he? Why has he come? Charlie soon discovers that this alien has run away from space to Earth to be with him because he loves football and the World Cup is on…!
Charlie hides Eeek! in his bedroom where he sleeps on the ceiling by night and pores over his football stickers by day. The only person Charlie shares his alien secret with is his best friend, Jake, and together they have fun playing alien cat and mouse with Charlie’s younger brother, Rory – and sneaking Eeek! out to football practice in disguise.
All is going well until slimy Sci Fi mad Sid Spiker who lives out the back spots Eeek! through his telescope…
Read an extract of Eeek! and watch a video of my illustrator at work 🙂
World Cup Crossword Puzzles (and Answers!)
- Download Eeek’s 2018 World Cup crossword puzzle for free
- Download Eeek’s 2014 World Cup crossword puzzle for free.
Inspiration for Eeek!
Having two boys who love sport I know just how difficult it can sometimes be to get boys to stop running around for long enough to read a book! This got me to thinking – and very quickly I decided that since most young boys like aliens and many like football, a story that combined the two might just work! And it has! The fun black and white illustrations and short chapters also make it easy to dip in and out of in between all that sport!
Many of the home and local football training scenes are based on my boys when they were younger. When he was three, my younger son loved dressing up as Batman and wearing a snorkel and mask at the same time – hey, why not?! That’s exactly what Charlie’s younger brother, Rory, does in Eeek! And my eldest was forever kicking a football against the kitchen wall – it drove me crazy!
Five reasons why you should read Eeek!
- Singled out as a great book for boys by parents, teachers, reading charities and librarians (but if you’re a girl who likes football you will still love it!)
- Featured Book of the Month on LoveReading4KidsUK – where Julia Eccleshare of The Guardian and The Literacy Trust have included it on the Reluctant Readers list
- 5 Stars from the influential Parents in Touch website run by ex Head teachers
- 5-Star Reviews on Amazon UK, Waterstones online and Goodreads
- More lovely reviews from children on eeekthealien.com – and I always reply!
How to buy Eeek!